Wednesday, October 22, 2008

THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES

I just saw the movie called the SECRET LIFE OF BEES based on Sue Monk Kidd's book with the same title. I loved it. I read the book afterwards. I preferred the movie. I'm not saying don't bother with the book, but ....go see the movie. There weren't major differences, but what the movie omitted were good omissions, I thought. The acting was great, first of all. The book was not badly written either, but there were parts which I thought took things to the extreme that may discourage noncatholics or even confirm suspicions that catholics do worship Mary. The characters were lovable and they were so devoted to Mary, in both the book and the movie. I haven't read on the author yet, but hopefully she did not intend to portray Mary as a 'woman god'. Because that's not how Catholics see Mary. Those who are devoted to Mary will see Mary as Mary, the Mother of God, our loving mediatrix and would appreciate the movie for that. For we know her and what her role is in the Church: to bring us close to her Son. It is my hope that those who do not know her, after watching/reading the Secret Life of Bees, will seek her and then will know her. And for those who think know her and think she is competing with Jesus... well, may she intercede for them, as I know she would.

No comments: